I got an email from my own website saying that my account had been blocked because I tried logging in with the incorrect credentials more than three times. This, actually never happened, but the plugin I’m using so that all of your can log into your account DID corrupt the database.
If you have received this same email, just wait the 3 day lock out period and when you get back, simply click the LOST PASSWORD button and request a password change. You will be sent a dummy password where you can log in and change your password back to what you had it at browse this site.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but it happened to me too, so we were all effected.